internetworkers - [Fwd: FC: Groups demand online "public spaces" at 5/9 event in DC]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [Fwd: FC: Groups demand online "public spaces" at 5/9 event in DC]
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 16:19:10 -0400

To quote Kyle's mom: What!? What!?!? What?!?!?!?

Anyone know anything about this?

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [And a response at the end from our very own Lizard. --DBM]
>
> ********
>
> Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:24:43 -0400
> To: declan AT well.com
> From: Jeff Chester <jeff AT cme.org>
> Subject: another do-gooder event
>
> You may want to let your list know about. Best and thanks
>
> The Future of Noncommercial Broadband Communications at Risk
>
> Preserving the Internet's Openness, Freedom, and Diversity
>
> Speakers include Rep. Ed Markey, FTC Commissioner Mozelle
> Thompson, Dave Farber, Lawrence Lessig, other experts
>
> Dear Colleague:
>
> The Center for Digital Democracy and the Center for Media Education
> cordially invites you to participate in a conference on the future of the
> Internet in the broadband era on Wednesday, 9 May 2001, at the Carnegie
> Endowment for International Peace (1779 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington
> DC).
> The Net is at an important crossroads, and we may soon lose meaningful
> access to this new medium. Such a development will negatively impact our
> civil liberties, limit diversity of information and ownership, harm our
> ability to inform and advocate online, and restrict competition. The public
> interest broadband conference will describe how the media industry giants
> are restructuring the digital media system, fashioning a system that
> extends their control over the media beyond television to the
> Internet. Instead of an open network, media conglomerates are spending
> billions to create what they call "walled gardens," but which are really
> new forms of electronic enclosures designed to ensure that they will
> continue to dominate the media system.
> Unless they act soon, nonprofit organizations will find it difficult to
> operate in an online environment that favors big business over small,
> e-commerce over e-democracy, and public relations over public service.
> That's why it's important to begin exploring new means of collective action
> in the online world, new ways of preserving space for noncommercial,
> public-interest programming, and for directing traffic to the sources of
> information and interactivity that will prove vital to our society in the
> twenty-first century.
> Additional speakers will include: Dr. Patricia Aufderheide, American
> University, Timothy Denton, attorney, Canadian Association of Internet
> Providers, Stewart Harris, Public Webworks, Stephen Heins, Northnet, and
> Barry Steinheart, ACLU.
> Please join us in discussing these important issues, and in exploring
> further collaboration in the broadband era:

> 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
> Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
> 1779 Massachusetts Ave. NW
> Washington D.C. 20036-2103
> RSVP: 202-232-2872
> Agoldman AT cme.org
> Seating is limited.
> Lunch will be provided
>
> The conference is made possible through the generous support of the Center
> [...]

"B"ing mobile
I always have more questions
Thank you in advance for your answers
http://beeline.home.mindspring.com

"Pornography is the foreskin of First Amendment freedom."
-- Anonymous, in honor of "Victims of Pornography" month
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,43519,00.html