internetworkers - Re: MSFUD

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael S Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MSFUD
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:31:39 -0400

On Thursday 03 May 2001 05:01 pm, you wrote:
> Looks like Microsoft has jumped on the "loudly misunderstand open
> source" bandwagon.
>
> http://partners.nytimes.com/2001/05/03/technology/03SOFT.html

I take this type of MS campaign has a good sign, that they're being hurt by
open source. Personally, I'm much more interested in open, public protocols
than open source, but anything that hurts MS is good for the technology
industry.

My guess is that MS is worried about the effect that open source is having on
the developer and business communities. As more software talent is attracted
towards writing software that runs on other platforms that Windows, the more
viable the non-Microsoft software solutions become. I don't really think MS
is worried about the details of the GPL; their main concern is most GPL'd
software doesn't run on Windows, and that's a bad thing if you depend on a
monopoly to make money.

--
Michael S Czeiszperger
czei AT webperformanceinc.com

  • MSFUD, Steven Champeon, 05/03/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: MSFUD, Paul Jones, 05/03/2001
    • Re: MSFUD, Steven Champeon, 05/03/2001
    • RE: MSFUD, Paula Paul, 05/03/2001
    • RE: MSFUD, Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, 05/04/2001
    • Re: MSFUD, Michael S Czeiszperger, 05/04/2001
    • Re: MSFUD, Beth Ellison, 05/04/2001
    • Re: MSFUD, Beth Ellison, 05/04/2001
    • Re: MSFUD, Jim Campbell, 05/05/2001