internetworkers - Re: Hey, I'm an uninformed idiot, could you help me out?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Robert Weeks <robert AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hey, I'm an uninformed idiot, could you help me out?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:44:37 -0400

Ultradev works fine on a Mac. You will need a server which supports ASP,
ColdFusion or JSP. If you have win2000 with IIS and Access you could run the
files locally to test your ASP pages. That's the only difference I know of
between the two platforms, but I don't really use Ultradev or Dreamweaver
that much. I tried UltraDev when it came out for about a week and went back
to good old BBEdit.

I don't think UltraDev is a magic solution. Instead of investing the $$$ and
time to purchase and learn how to use UltraDev properly, I'd suggest you
learn PHP and mySQL. There are things that Dreamweaver just can't do and
what it can do works much better is you understand the concepts behind what
you are doing.

Joe Komenda from this list is giving PHP / mySQL classes on Wednesday
evenings and the Linux users group is having PHP/mySQL as their topic of
discussion for this month's meeting: http://www.trilug.org

Robert Weeks

Partner - Technology
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC
http://www.designhammer.com

On 4/10/01 8:42 AM, "drew" <druid AT email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm still a student, and I'm looking at learning Dreamweaver UltraDev for
> building web applications (partly because I'm too damn lazy to learn PHP or
> Java) like shopping carts, customer accounts, database stuff, etc.
>
> I haven't had much time to look into it yet, but I've been told that there
> might not be much functionality for Mac users (like me) because it uses
> proprietary Microsoft stuff (like ASP). But I've also heard it will do the
> same with Coldfusion and JSP, and that a Mac design platform is fine if you
> are writing to a server with those things.
>
> Can anybody out there tell me for sure what the deal is? Is ultra dev
> really limited on a Mac platform (I hope not says the PC hater)? Or can it
> do everything just using different server side tech?
>
> D-

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: robert AT designhammer.com
> $subst('Email.Unsub')

  • Re: Hey, I'm an uninformed idiot, could you help me out?, Robert Weeks, 04/10/2001