internetworkers - Re: continuous partial attention

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Laura" <webcr8tr AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: continuous partial attention
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:11:42 -0200

| i remember reading a while back that women are more skilled at
| multi-tasking than men and that this was proven scientifically. can
| anyone back this up?

Well of course I can.

I can be on the telephone, send email, hand signal my daughter and son to
stop fighting and either listen to radio or listen to television at the same
time.

I have often been able to read two books at the same time and tell what they
are about (I read one for about an hour, and then read the other right
after). Mind you I am a fanatic reader and it is my relaxation. I even took
it upon myself recently to read Hamlet, Thoreau's Walden Pond, as well as
The Four Agreements. I can keep the stories straight.

I at this moment am half watching/listening to SNL on Comedy Central,
writing this email and thinking about my multitasking abilities.

I take advantage of this skill it does help me do many things at once, and
most often complete them. Being able to multitask can be helpful if you
apply it correctly. This is a skill I have learned to develop and make work
for me rather than against me. It can work against you when you aren't
completing tasks.

Laura Newberg
http://www.digitalmama.net