internetworkers - Re: continuous partial attention

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dave Parker" <vividp AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: continuous partial attention
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:34:20 -0500

Thomas wrote:

> The catchphrase that seems to have captured the zeigeist
> is the concept of "continuous partial attention

Funny. Continuous partial attention has been a major aspect in my wife's
family since well before the technological revolution. Her mother can
skillfully watch TV, fold laundry and carry on two conversations at once.

They live in one of those slow-moving, bucolic small towns, where you'd
expect to find few type A personalities. Yet she in all her life wouldn't
think of spending half the day doing just one thing, even if she didn't have
a Palm Pilot, which she doesn't.

- Dave P.