internetworkers - Re: internetworkers digest: January 02, 2001

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: AlMaur777 AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: internetworkers digest: January 02, 2001
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:10:17 EST

In a message dated 1/3/01 12:01:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu writes:

Television is an extremely
expensive media, production-wise, but I can get a lot of it for free. So
why can't web sites sustain themselves with advertising? Is there
something inherent in the technology that makes this model unsustainable?

Net advertising models are nowhere near as sophisticated as TV ads. Surely
all the netheads on this list skip over many a banner ad without so much as
noticing them. I expect effective ad methods to evolve, particularly as the
Net itself does, increasing bandwidth and capability. But the current model
sure doesn't seem to be doing so well. Look at the Net ad firms and the
trouble they're having (from the little guys clear up to Doubleclick itself).
Now that everyone is actually thinking about making content a business, I
suspect much more effective ad models are on the way.

Re: how journalists use the Net:
I check wire services (PR newswire, Biz Wire, healthwire, etc.) first. I
always call sources quoted in the release and with rare exceptions, we never
print things directly from Internet/Web sources.
I also develop stories from all the tradtional sources (tips, following
rumors, attending events, interviews with analysts and assorted other
sources).
The Internet is a wonderful resource for contex info drawn from company Web
sites, analyst reports, current market information, and even technical
vocabulary definitions, the background of various technologies, the issues of
interest to investors on bulletin boards. I could go on.
It's the Final Encylcopedia, even if it is still under construction.
I think the future of journalism is on the Net, especially as it converges
with TV.

Allan Maurer/staff writer/Triangle/Charlotte
amaurer AT LocalBusiness.com
PHONE NUMBER: 919-667-1733.
500 N. Duke Street,55106, Durham, N.C. 27701

http://www.LocalBusiness.com - "Your local business destination on the web"
http://www.digitalsouth.com - digitalsouth magazine - The South's source for
technology, venture capital and finance.

  • Re: internetworkers digest: January 02, 2001, AlMaur777, 01/03/2001