internetworkers - Re: The Coming Internet Depression (book)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael S Czeiszperger <czei AT webperfcenter.com>
  • To: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>, internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Coming Internet Depression (book)
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:38:24 -0400

"saundrakaerubel.com" wrote:
Very funny Mr. Michael S Czeiszperger.

As you know I am the northern Californian, and have seen many of my friends affected by the fall out of this year.  I myself worked for one of the very first start-ups before start-ups were called start-ups in the early 90s (and before Gore invented the Internet :-)

I have experienced this sad phenomena first hand.  And of course I MUST read everything I get my hands on.

So thank you for joking and making light of what is already happening out here. :-))

I have a somewhat longer view than that, having worked in the computer engineering since the mid eighties. I remember being in the valley and hearing from friends with computer science degrees and great experience taking months to find a new job, and then at salaries below what recent graduates make now. The fact is, whatever fallout there was earlier this year was nonexistant as far as I'm concerned, as it didn't affect the basic ratio of available jobs to those who want to work. Besides, 9/10 venture backed firms are expected to fail, so there shouldn't be any crying about it when it happens. If you join a venture-backed startup, you should know there's 1/10 chances the company will succeed.

But on the subject of a the "dot com economy going bust" there's nothing mysterious about it. Any economist will tell you the economy has ups and downs. There is a natural flow to the economy, with up and down periods, and anyone with any sense is preparing for the downturn now while salaries are high.

--

Michael Czeiszperger
czei AT webperfcenter.com