internetworkers - Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <ids AT idisplay.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:34:35 -0400

Actually, it's not a web interface but is more like a BBS (remember
those?). It's called MiniTel, but it's not part of 'standard' telephones
at all;
Is MiniTel in fact what Linda was referring to or was it something else? MiniTel's been around at least since the '80's. I'm glad to see the parallel drawn between the web and MiniTel. France was way ahead technically when the French Government implimented this. I don't know that any compelling business model was made for any of the VideoText trials in the U.S., though, and with no govt. support, we had to wait for the web to do something like what MiniTel was doing. I wonder if it was successful and paid for itself in France before the world wide web overtook it?

and according to www.minitel.fr, it looks like Minitel is being
migrated to a more standard ISP - type service. (see
http://www.stud.enst.fr/~meunier/images/min_enst.gif for a screenshot of
TeleTel)

cheers
KJ

--"To misrepresent yourself in a positive light is not ... a bad thing;
people think a lot of you - before they get to know you." - Lyle Lovett
kelly \@/ unc.edu | http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly/

You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: ids AT idisplay.com

  • Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political, Edward Wesolowski, 09/19/2000