internetworkers - Re: article: headhunters delights

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: scott jacobs <sjacobs AT foveon.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: article: headhunters delights
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:46:45 -0400

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 10:00:17AM -0400, Thomas A. Beckett wrote:
> In today's N&O, there's an article that will have HR managers choking
> on their morning coffee. Dan Egbert describes in detail some of the
> tactics that headhunters use to poach employees from local tech firms.
> Some are rather amusing, as are the countermeasures.
>
> http://www.newsobserver.com/monday/front/Business/Story/221775p-214657c.html
>

> Jungle warfare!
>
> TaB

I think I've seen the Lucent billboard mentioned in the article. What the
heck is it about? It's got some guy on a tricycle and the caption says
something like "Get in touch with your inner child." Can anyone explain
how that relates to applying for a job at Lucent or working at Lucent? The
URL on the billboard doesn't offer much help deciphering that slogan.
( http://www.lucent.com/hireme/ ) In fact it shows some shoeless guy
lounging on a beach with his laptop a comfortable no-work-getting-done
distance away from him. So is working at Lucent really like a leisurly day
at the beach or as much fun as riding a tricycle?

scott

scott jacobs foveon corporation