internetworkers - Caffine is a dangerous substance...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B Holroyd <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Caffine is a dangerous substance...
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:10:38 -0400

... and I've been "off" of it for over two weeks, that is, until yesterday.
Then, last night, it happened; I drank a cup of tea around midnight to help
me stay awake for Big Jake.... By 6 this morning, I had a good start on my
version of the 99 Questions; here, for your edification, are the most
cogent ones.....

1. Freedom of Speech (one of my favorites): Why does this not include an
implicit right to be silent?

2. Freedom of Religion: What is the definition of religion and where's the
line between religion and personal philosophy?

3. Why don't individual citizens have the same rights as corporate
entities, for example, the right to set up personal pre-tax medical
accounts?

4. Why is the Libertarian party completely ignored by the media, even
though it has ballot access for the upcoming elections in 41 states (more,
I believe, than any other 3rd party), and is not far from being on the
ballots of all 50 states and DC?

5. How did the debate on "affordable health care" get replaced by
"affordable health insurance"? (Seems to me that any fool could figure that
any time you add a middleman, the price increases or the quality
decreases....)

6. How come the vast majority of the people I talk to (ok, 100 percent) are
uncomfortable with granting China MFN status yet the administration --
past, present, and apparent future -- is hell-bent on doing just that?

7. Why is the last bastion of local rule -- education -- such a big issue
in the federal elections?

8. Why does big business have such a big voice in our government when the
majority of Americans make their livings in small businesses?

9. How come everyone I talk to disagrees with the way that the U.S. handles
the "War on Drugs" yet this is always another non-issue in federal
elections?

10. Why can't two individuals enter into a contract that does basically the
same thing as the marriage contract, regardless of their sex, color,
national origin, etc.?

11. Why doesn't anyone seem to be alarmed over the tendency of our penal
system to look more and more like the penal systems of the most repressive
countries in the world? (Forced labor work force, overrepresentation of
minorities, private ownership, etc.)

12. Is it true that campaign finance reform is a dead (or dying) issue, as
the media and Republicrats would have us believe?

13. Why doesn't the ACLU or the federal government run an ad campaign
(billboards, commercials) that informs U.S. citizens of their rights, like
they do anti-drug and other such campaigns? (If the administration can
shake loose cash to pay Hollywood for inserting anti-drug, anti-alcohol,
and God only knows what other messages into the product, why can't they
also fund citizenship education?)

14. Why isn't there an expiration date for new laws?

15. Why are lawmakers *still* allowed to slip unconnected items into bills?
(Do a search on "Know Your Customer" at Thomas -- you may be surprised by
the results.)

16. Why is sex always lumped in with violence when the discussion turns to
things kids should not be exposed to?

..... Whoops! Gotta go!

--
"B" (who always has more questions than answers....)
http://beeline.home.mindspring.com/

  • Caffine is a dangerous substance..., B Holroyd, 08/14/2000