internetworkers - "university" II

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: "university" II
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:52:32 -0400

The Washington Post has rather more detail about the Carnivore
review.
Justice has already contacted MIT, UCSD and Purdue.
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4653-2000Aug10.html

And this:

""This sounds to me like they are trying to select a rubber stamp,"
said David Banisar, senior fellow of the Electronic Privacy Information
Center, a Washington-based advocacy group. "There is grave danger in the
Justice Department getting to choose who is going to be the independent
outside reviewer. . . . Justice has been just as supportive of this
process as the FBI so they are two peas in a pod here.""

If the Department of Defense were making the selection, I'd worry a
bit
about universities having a conflict of interest. But are that many
institutions beholden to the Department of Justice that they'd get a
"rubber stamp"?

TaB

  • "university" II, Thomas A. Beckett, 08/10/2000