internetworkers - SF IT party scene

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SF IT party scene
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:00:53 -0400

Now I'm not normally one to look over my shoulder at Silicon Valley or
Austin or such, in comparison to they way things are in the Triangle.
But the grass does seem to be rather greener and longer on the San
Francisco side of the fence:

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/04/25/party/index.html

"Forget about return on investment. Bay Area tech companies spend $1
million a month on food, drink music in exchange for 'buzz.' "
. . . .
"This week, Elvis Costello will play at a bash hosted by AskJeeves,
while a collection of works by Picasso never before shown in the United
States will be shown at a much more Hewlett-Packard-sponsored party.
Such decadent affairs are in keeping with current party expectations. A
Respond.com party late last year featured performers from Cirque du
Soleil, and December, ETour flew the accordion-playing Net celeb Mahir
in from Turkey to party with scantily clad Rouze.com models and San
Francisco dot-commers."

I have to wonder why North Carolina companies are falling down on the
job when it comes to throwing extravagant, excessive parties for the
local entrepreneurial community. Todd, Linda, what's your excuse?

TaB

  • SF IT party scene, Thomas Beckett, 04/25/2000