internetworkers - Re: NC starts "geek" profiling; t-shirts for turning in depressives

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NC starts "geek" profiling; t-shirts for turning in depressives
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:45:25 -0500

Ah yes, a new chapter to the Pinkertons book. These were the folks who
were responsible for seeing to the protection of presidents Lincoln,
Garfield, and McKinley (among others). When they lost their government
job, they went to work for (among others) the coal barons in Appalachia
-- anyone ever heard of the Mine Wars? It was the Pinkertons vs. the
Unionists. Folks were killed on courthouse steps and in pitched gun
battles on the mountainsides. An ugly business.

I think (and hope) that this will not go unnoticed and without comment.

Paul Jones wrote:

> I just called and asked for a t-shirt and asked how many people did I have
> to turn in for a HAT! I'm turning in this whole list and going for a
> trip to Greece. They refered me to another toll free number for
> their PR department (800) 527-1428 where I got a recored message.
>
> Give'm a call, They're lonely and the guy who answered at (888) 960-9600
> sounded depressed
>
> Paul (read on for context and more. it's scary; who'd have made it thru
> high school if this was in place?).
>
> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_bresnahan/20000327_xex_spying_101.shtml
>
> A program that encourages and rewards students (with t-shirts, hats and
> cash) for turning in their peers who might meet a behavior profile
> developed by the Pinkerton Detective Agency (famous for their historic
> violence against workers during the past century) will be initiated in NC
> and paid for by state funds. An 800 number and a web site will help
> promote W.A.V.E says NC Governor Jim Hunt.
>
> see also: http://slashdot.org/features/00/03/28/183219.shtml
>
> and in a buried story in NandO:
> Paper: The News and Observer
> Edition: Final
> Date: 02/11/2000
> Page: A3
> Headline: Schools to get program aimed at violence
> Source: From Wire Reports
>
> RALEIGH -- Gov. Jim Hunt announced Thursday a comprehensive violence
> prevention program in the state's public schools that will employ a
> toll-free student tip line, a Web site and an awareness campaign.
> The program is called Working Against Violence Everywhere, or WAVE. It
> is the result of recommendations from the Governor's Task Force on Youth
> Violence and School Safety.
> Pinkerton Services Group, a division of the international security firm
> Pinkerton Inc., will staff and operate the toll-free line, (888) 960-9600,
> on which any student, parent or school staff member can notify authorities
> of school violence concerns.
> Pinkerton and the Raleigh-based Center for the Prevention of School
> Violence have developed a contact list of school and law enforcement
> personnel in each of the state's school district who can be contacted if
> needed because of hot-line tips.

<snip>

  • Re: NC starts "geek" profiling; t-shirts for turning in depressives, B, 03/30/2000