internetworkers - Cancellation of LinuxExpo and what we can do about it...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jeri C. Gloege" <gloege AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: gloege AT metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Cancellation of LinuxExpo and what we can do about it...
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:24:06 -0500 (EST)

Several LUGs in the North and South Carolina area were chatting online
about the cancellation of the LinuxExpo this year in Raleigh, North
Carolina. The News and Observer contacted me as Chair of TriLUG, a
non-profit and LUG I run here in Research Triangle Park, NC to get my
reaction. To be honest, at first my reaction was who needs another
expo. I sent the reporter to a friend, an ex-RedHatter who reminded
readers of a need for Linux events on the east coast but pointed out that
with the plethora of Linux "expo's" now available, we should do something
different. TriLUG started talking about ALS and what a few LUGs had
managed to pull off in a few years. 32 people emailed me about fronting
an endeavor like this and three of us incorporated a new company
Linuxpalooza, Inc., whose sole purpose was to create a Linux festival here
in the Triangle area of North Carolina. We held our first information
meeting this past Tuesday when several people suggested we have an Open
Source Festival showcasing local talent, projects and companies and have
the LUGs and technical organizations of the Carolinas and surrounding
states be the driving force behind it. To get more feedback, I started an
email list and would like to invite you, your organization and anyone else
you think would be interested in helping create an open source festival
here on the east coast.

To join the planning email list and submit your ideas, email
majordomo AT linuxpalooza.org with subscribe planning in the body. Please do
not have a subject. If you have any questions or concerns or know of
someone I should forward this to, please email me personally! Thank you
and I hope you will be as interested in this endeavor as many of the LUGs
and organizations in the Raleigh-Durham area seem to be!

Jeri C. Gloege
President and Chair
Linuxpalooza, Inc.

  • Cancellation of LinuxExpo and what we can do about it..., Jeri C. Gloege, 03/24/2000