internetworkers - Will Fed Web Site Standards apply to your personal site?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B Holroyd <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Will Fed Web Site Standards apply to your personal site?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:43:40 -0500

"U.S. won't release new Web site regs for review"
http://www.freedomforum.org/news/2000/02/2000-02-24-11.asp

Of special note:

"Additional legislation was also being considered to extend the new rules
to all Web sites in the U.S. A House Judiciary subcommittee held hearings
this month on applying the Americans with Disabilities Act to all Web sites
in the United States, public and private, requiring every site to become
accessible to users who might be blind, deaf or lacking in motor controls."

I can see _encouraging_ making private and personal sites accessible, but
_requiring_ it? Guidelines, ok; regulations, nah.

Also, have these guys never heard of the functionality of all browsers that
lets the user turn off graphics and scripts and specify a particular type
and page style? Or do they think that handicapped people are too f-ing
stupid to figure that out?

"The use of color would also be limited by a standard to help color-blind
Web users. That draft standard reads, 'Information presented shall not
require color perception.'"

So, putting up a site in blue and green will get you in trouble with the
feds. Ho boy.

"Animation and flashing displays would be limited by a requirement that
'[v]isual displays and indicators shall minimize visual flicker that might
induce seizures in people with photosensitive epilepsy. Rates of 3 Hz or
lower, or 60 Hz or higher are recommended.'

"Web sites would also be required to '[p]rovide at least one mode that does
not require fine motor control or simultaneous actions' and to '[p]rovide
at least one mode that minimizes the cognitive, and memory ability required
of the user.'"

What a load. Users ultimately control what they see. Man, I hate it when
the gvnt sticks its nose into stuff.... And I'm getting pretty sick of the
attitude that because one person in a jillion can't do/handle/whatever
something, then no one may do/handle/whatever. Political correctness be
damned. Rant.... Nerf world.... Snort.... Hummph.... I'm going for a ride,
before horses become illegal 'cause not everyone can stick on 'em.

--
"B" at home
Snow Pictures Now Showing!

See the Abridged, Illustrated version: