internetworkers - Re: most massive internet concentration moves to DC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: most massive internet concentration moves to DC
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:28:06 -0400 (EDT)

On 14 xxx -1, David Parker wrote:
> It seems to me that the list of places that are, or are destined to
> become, "the next Silicon Valley" changes every year. Given the way the
> Internet has shrunk the world--as shown by hesketh.com's list of
> clients--does it matter where we are located? As long as I have all the
> appropriate technology available to me, couldn't I make a name for
> myself working out of Cletusville, Alabama?

That depends - how close is it to Redstone Arsenal? :) Redstone used to
be a major hub of SGML activity back when I did SGML document conversion;
most of the DoD (specifically Navy-related) SGML initiatives were first
tested out at RA, like the CALS and IADS projects.

Seriously, though: although the world has shrunk considerably, there is
still a real need for face-to-face handshake meetings. Like any industry,
there is still a need for client-company contact, even if it's just a
sales representative doing the face time. It can vary widely depending on
the scope of the project, too. When I was working with IBM, CKS brought
people down from NYC just to establish an onsite presence - they didn't
really have any pressing need for the bodies, they just wanted to be sure
that IBM management saw the bodies on site.

With $99 business shuttle flights to DC, NYC, and Atlanta, RTP is well
positioned to handle business from all of those cities. Oddly enough, it
can be easier to work with clients in those cities than with clients in
Charlotte or Winston-Salem or Wilmington.

The real issue is whether or not there is enough local talent in Cletusville
to handle your staffing needs when you land the work, and whether or not
anyone wants to relocate to Cletusville. :)

Steve
--
business: http://hesketh.com ...custom medium- to large-scale web sites
the book: http://dhtml-guis.com ...Building Dynamic HTML GUIs from IDG