internetworkers - [internetworkers] NC Poets Against the War - tonight

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ses at unc.edu (Simon Spero)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] NC Poets Against the War - tonight
  • Date: Fri Feb 21 15:38:14 2003

Paul Jones wrote:

>Someone invited poet/translator/activist Sam Hamill to her house to talk
>about two of America's most overtly political poets and one of our most
>deceptively simple but most subversive poets (Whitman, Hughes and
>Dickinson) a short while back.

I assume you're not referring to Walt Whitman, for whom:

The War was the shining incarnation for Whitman of American
democracy: an exemplum on an unprecedented scale of what he called
in his 1872 Preface "Comradeship, the beautiful and sane affection
of man for man, latent in all the young fellows, North and South,
East and West--it is by this, I say, and by what goes directly and
indirectly along with it, that the United States of the future, (I
cannot too often repeat,) are to be most effectually welded
together, intercalated, anneal'd into a Living Union."

[ http://www.cla.sc.edu/engl/faculty/ezrag/intro2.htm ]