internetworkers - [internetworkers] An interesting article about education

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: kelly at metalab.unc.edu (K. Jo Garner)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] An interesting article about education
  • Date: Tue Feb 18 23:19:07 2003

->On Tuesday 18 February 2003 08:4720pm, K. Jo Garner wrote:
->> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Josep L. Guallar-Esteve wrote:
->> ->
->> ->I've just read this article:
->> ->http://www.kundalini-tantra.com/student22.html
->>
->> "Now you can see the value of learning to be a student. Being a
->> student does not mean closing your eyes and blindly going on. It
->> means paying attention and doing so with grace and care. "
->>
->> But obviously not paying attention in English class, as is evidenced
->> by most of this rambling letter.
->>
->> Regards
->> KJ

Hey! in case anyone ELSE was confused, this was a critique of the webpage
mentioned above. Notice the quotes around the sentences below the URL.

Perhaps I should have delved further into my critique, being a product of
American public schools myself (and a variety thereof), but having
received teacher training and observing classrooms from both inside
(student) and outside (assistant/tutor), the webpage cited was not only
not interesting, it was the usual babble of someone who sees fit to
criticise the public school system in the US without taking into account
demographics, urban/rural schools, economics, parental involvement,
financial support and so on and so forth.

Josep, maybe you can find out what it's like "on the inside" if you
volunteer in a school system. All I can tell you from personal experience
is what it was like as of '95 or so.

Cheers
KJ

---
Gonzo: I had that weird dream again. || http://www.ibiblio.org/kelly
Rizzo: You mean the one with the goat and the dwarf and the jar of peanut
butter?