homestead - [Homestead] Goats

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Goats
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:16:48 -0500

I started out about 6 years ago with goats. I bought a small herd of Boer
and Boer mix goats. I added a couple of milkers the next year.

I've still got one of the original goats, she is a red goat, who knows all
of her breeding, but when I started milking, she turned out to be a great
milker, she's a good mother and pretty hardy. She's got awful hooves.

I got rid of the Boers a few years ago and have been breeding with a couple
of Nubian bucks. Of my 7 females all are related to the old red goat and a
registered Nubian buck.

Last year I added a Nubian X Saanen buck. I'm hopeful that he is the father
of all of the kids due next month. There was a bit of a mix up and the
billy kids did not get sold before the girls came in heat. It was basically
a free for all, but I don't think that the kids where tall enough to hit
their mark. Wishful thinking. My goal is to breed for good hardy goats,
large size, decent udders and a gallon of milk a day milkers.

I've got the goat on the same pasture as the cows. They pretty much turn
their nose up at tender grass and clover, they want most of the stuff that
the cows don't eat, so that works well. There is an acre or so of woods in
the pasture that I'm thinning out, so the goats help with that.

I should be able to start milking here in a month or so and it will be nice
to back in milk and fresh cheese. I make up feta and store it brined in
mason jars in the cellar.

I used to butcher a couple of billy kids each year, but have been selling
them the last couple of years. I usually have deer meat (real similar) and
can sell the billy kids for enough at 3 or 4 months that it pays for hay
for the stock around here.

Goat meat is good. I had a good demand for leg of goat at one time.
Everyone that eats it enjoys it and they are easy to dress out at home.

So my goats bring me hay money or meat, milk, cheese, manure and do a great
job of keeping down weeds in the pasture and willingly keep a piece of
woods cleared out.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Goats, Robert Walton, 01/07/2013