homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small cattle herds was Heifer...

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small cattle herds was Heifer...
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 21:49:31 -0500

Well, I've kept goats for about 6 years now and still keep them. They are
sure not any drain on the homestead economy. Mine are halfway decent about
respecting the electric fence, loveable, give good milk and don't require a
lot of care. They do want more housing than the cows.

I make Feta cheese, have it in jars with brine in the cellar. I made a lot
of fresh cheese last year and people really liked it, too. Pigs, chickens ,
dogs, cats and people all get to eat a little better when the goats are in
milk!

Rob - Va