homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 93, Issue 5

  • From: lurine AT com-pair.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 93, Issue 5
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:53:19 -0800

Depends on your grass. Back in the day, when we had our butcher
shop, our steers grade choice straight off grass. We seeded orchard
grass, perrenial rye, wild oat, bur clover and another grass I don't
remember. Now, they were dairy calves but the guy used Hereford
bulls. We also ran some Holstein cows and had our own horned
Hereford bull (Sir Redwood Reginald III, where do people get these
names <g>).

We sold almost all the steers out of our butcher shop (cut out the
middle man) but would occasionally sell one privately. I always
required 50% upfront with no refunds, so the non-serious or inclined
to change their minds folks didn't even bother.

Lynda