homestead - [Homestead] The death of a list

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] The death of a list
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 08:04:42 -0700

I woke up this morning wondering what happened to the homestead list.

An e-mail list is (was?) a new type of community, a group of people with almost instant written communication drawn together around a common theme. In this case a the concept of homesteading.

For many years this was an active & vibrant place to be and then it wasn't....
Did everybody give up the homestead dream? Did the world change so much that the group was not necessary? I think "not" to both of those, there are still active groups in the internet world and somewhat on facebook. The dream (or necessity) of doing it yourself is still there.
A lack of leadership? Maybe, leadership on a list is hard to pin down. The leader could be a knowledgeable regular poster or a list owner who both posts & keeps order it is rarely the totalitarian who rules with the iron fist, lists have to be at least a little fun to keep people.
Did one person manage to poison the well? That is possible, people left the list rather than deal with the poison.

I think enough people left (for whatever the reason, I'm guessing poison & no leadership) that the dynamic of the list fell apart and the community that was people, their words and ideas collapsed & is gone. Sad.

Bye.

Rob