homestead - [Homestead] EFAs cannot be identified by their omega chain (say no to fraud)

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] EFAs cannot be identified by their omega chain (say no to fraud)
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 06:20:45 GMT

A few years back I pointed out that it was not enough to say a fatty acid is
"omega 3" or such.  I predicted that this tendency would lead to people being
defrauded for things like safflower oil, a source of nothing special.  Well
now it's here.  We bought one brand that touted that it had omegas -3, -6,
and -9!  Well, the omega-6 acid is not gamma linolenic acid, which only
occurs in rare oils like borage seed oil, evening primrose, and black
currant, but just plain old linoleic acid from safflower oil, which is easy
to get and not worth buying in pill form.