homestead - [Homestead] Minto vis-a-vis Jones

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] Minto vis-a-vis Jones
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:50:01 GMT

Wow, so many similarities.
Let's ignore for a moment the overhead input of energy required to vaporize
methylene chloride, as if the Minto's heat source were always around the
perfect temperature.  Then it becomes simply a question of how much energy it
takes to heat the resulting gas to the temperature needed to overcome the
difference in height between the lower and upper chambers, and push a given
volume of liquid upward.  In the Jones wheel, air has to be heated to
whatever temperature it takes to overcome the difference in _depth_ between
the upper and lower chambers, and push a given volume of gas _downward_ into
the float!
The same problems could arise if you try to use the sun as the heat source
for either.  The timing of the maximum transferred gas/liquid volume must be
such that the lower/upper chamber is on the correct side of vertical.
Otherwise, opposing torques and even failure (which means melted bottles, in
my case, if the Jones wheel stands still) could result.  The difference in
angle between the early or late, and the midday, sun makes this a potential
problem.  In the Jones wheel, low-angled rays just hit a bottle earlier in
its rotation, making no more than a simple mirror necessary, in all
likelihood.
When we expand the unit, I think we'll use some more sustainable choice of
paint, like charcoal mixed with laundry starch.  It turns out my partner is
allergic to many paints.  This is also consistent with the one $/watt goal.
Yes, that's a ONE!
Ex Occidente Lux!!!!!!!!!!
It's really worthwhile to check out the Wikipedia article with an animation
of the Minto.