homestead - [Homestead] Waterwheel Riddle

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] Waterwheel Riddle
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:13:53 GMT

Sorry, nurses came to poke and prod me.  Anyway, I derived an answer using
calculus, the derivation of which I'll share later.  It turns out to be 2
feet.  In other words, let the pipe drop 2 feet, and the Ferris wheel have a
4-foot drop.  The maximum power obtained ended up being about 80 watts, if I
recall correctly.  The thing is, I've never seen this in a book, nor heard it
from a guy in a white coat, so my confidence is somewhat low.  Hopefully
everyone will chime in and say, "Why, everyone knows that, Bill."  In the
absence of other info, I guess I'll go with my solution.
I'm going home tomorrow, so lots of stuff is happening today.