homestead - [Homestead] Waterwheel Riddle

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] Waterwheel Riddle
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:28:49 GMT

OK, we have a new place with a creek that runs through it.  There's an
abundant flow, but the greatest drop I can exploit is about 6 feet.  I'm
going to use a 3" pipe to lead water to a certain level, then let the water
drop in a Ferris wheel type of waterwheel.  Let's ignore any contribution of
the forward momentum of the water, so that all the energy comes from the tubs
of water falling downward.  Also, a 3" pipe is wide enough that little energy
is lost through friction.  On the one hand, if I make the pipe steeper, a
greater volume of water will flow per unit of time.  On the other hand, I
would be depriving the "Ferris wheel" of the necessary "head" to get much
energy out of it.