homestead - [Homestead] Wirtz Bike

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] Wirtz Bike
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:40:43 GMT

Robert Walton wrote:
> I googled, but nothing. what does it do? Pump water? Electricity?It's a
> bike that runs on compressed air, or is just assisted by it, for getting up
> hills.  Wirtz is most famous for his water pump, but there are vague
> references to a Wirtz engine, which is the same as the pump, except that
> instead of pumping when you turn it, it turns when you pump in air and
> water.  I've had to back-engineer the whole thing, having found nothing
> online myself.  There are other ways to skin this cat, alternately
> supplying air and water, but I just used the good ol' air-displacement
> water pump.  Here are a couple of links with
> descriptions:http://www.marcdatabase.com/~lemur/rbt-scoopwheel.html
http://lurkertech.com/water/pump/tailer
Here's a pic of my first air-displacement water pump.  The 6-port pneumatic
valve mounted on the wood is actuated by a strong neodymium magnet which is
drawn to iron floats (cans) inside the cylinders (not visible).  This is a
clever way of detecting when to reset, but now I prefer to compare the
weights of the two cylinders with a sort of balance.  Also depicted is our
new 6-port hydraulic valve (with the blue caps).  The latter will become the
upper valve in the Wirtz alternator diagram, and the former will become the
lower one, since it only deals with air.
http://home.earthlink.net/~clanl/pic-002.jpg
OK, so here's how the Wirtz alternator works.  One pumping chamber is
injected with compressed air, driving the water downward and out (the right
one in the drawing, in state B); the other refills with water while
compressed air is injected directly into a T in its line.
The upper valve switches both pumping chambers between compressed air and
gravity-feed water, both injected into the top of the cylinder.  The lower
valve swiches an open pipe (like a ground in electricity) back and forth
between the two pumping chambers, and the compressed-air line back and forth
between the left coil and the right coil.  Note that the check valves prevent
this compressed air from flowing backwards into the pumping chambers.
There are some errors in the diagram.  The ports at the top of both cylinders
cannot be pooled, as I've depicted them.  Instead it should be like the
two-hole aluminum cans that used to be popular, the second hole being the
open line that prevents air lock.  It's all so sloppy anyway, so I'll make a
better diagram and post it soon.
The two pumping chambers are stretched on a chain connected around the two
pulleys, so that when one fills with water, it falls.  The chamber filled
with air then rises.  Levers connected to the two pulleys push U-shaped
actuators in either direction, but only when the cylinders reach their
furthest extent.  This allows the cylinders to fill and empty completely
before the reset occurs.
The counterweight seen on the lower pulley (it could be on either) makes the
system more decisive, and prevents
it from vacillating between the two states.  But it's drawn in the wrong
position (it should point right in state B).
Let me know if there are any other questions, or if you find some flaw in my
design.