homestead - [Homestead] Fw: Tell EPA to Protect our Honey Bees from Pesticides

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fw: Tell EPA to Protect our Honey Bees from Pesticides
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:14:42 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Center for Food Safety

Join | Donate | Act

Tell EPA to Protect our Honey Bees from Pesticides

This week is pollinator week. Five years ago the U.S. Senate designated
the final week in June as “National Pollinator Week,” marking a necessary
step toward addressing the urgent issue of declining pollinator populations.
Five years later, bees are still dying off in large numbers and without them,
we’re in serious trouble. This week and next, EPA is deciding just how “real”
they think the pesticide threat to our pollinators is.

Tell EPA that the threat to bees is very real, and they need to take
emergency action.

In March, the Center for Food Safety joined partners and beekeepers
from around the country in filing a legal petition with EPA, calling on the
agency to make use of its emergency powers to protect bees from a pesticide
called clothianidin that is particularly harmful to bees. In the next two
weeks, we expect EPA will decide whether this threat constitutes the
“imminent hazard” necessary for the agency to take emergency action to
suspend registration of this toxic pesticide.

Bees and other pollinators are indicator species – as they go, so goes
the environment, and with it, us. If bees dying off en masse aren’t an
“imminent hazard”, then we don’t know what is.

Tell EPA bee die-offs are an emergency!