homestead - [Homestead] Solar-Powered Buoyancy-Driven Heat Engine

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] Solar-Powered Buoyancy-Driven Heat Engine
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:55:45 GMT

Don wrote:
>Those low speed devices are best for such things as pumping water. If
>you try to gear them up for higher output speed you run into significant
>gear losses due to the significantly increased load between drive elements.
I think that the water in all my designs never travels faster than, say, 10
linear feet per second.  At this velocity, the non-linear character of the
head-loss table is actually working on my behalf.    In other words, it's
really negligible.  The only exception is the hydraulic ram compressor, where
the water approaches a high terminal velocity.  But it is what it is.
Bill