homestead - [Homestead] Busy

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: brierpatch AT yahoogroups.com, Little houses <LittleHouses AT yahoogroups.com>, Homestead_Friends AT yahoogroups.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Busy
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:26:52 -0600

I thought I would give a brief update on what I have been doing. This is only part, it has been crazy year.

I have completed the shop structural.I started a year and a half ago with a typical pole barn. I built false walls between the poles, insulated with R-13, then covered with OSB. Then a few weeks ago I installed a tin ceiling and blew in 6" of insulation. I am now installing lights and air. I have two air drops in the center and an air hose reel with 5' of hose near the front. I put four hanging power outlets near the center. Down the center are four switched outlets for task lighting and I am installing strip lights for overhead lighting. My dream shop is coming together.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/reel l.jpg
In the picture above you can see the strip lights. One on the far is not working but I think I know why. In the near foreground you can the hanging hose reel and behind that and to the left is the drop light on a reel. Further back are the hanging power and air.

On the sewing room front I finished the toilet install. This was a long term project as first I had to get water to the sewing room and pay a sewer pipe away. Then I built up a platform, tiled it, and installed the toilet. Since we have water I installed a sink and under sink water heater plus a cabinet over the sink.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/toilet l.jpg
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/sink l.jpg

Another part of the sewing room was adding electrical outlets. I added seven outlets on two circuits and a motion detector light by the door.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/MD .jpg

Since we installed a wood stove I needed to get some firewood laid by. Over the last week I have dropped a couple of trees and split them up. About half of this wet wood will be traded with a friend for dry.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/firewood .jpg

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU