homestead - [Homestead] Tis the Season

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tis the Season
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:18:12 -0800

We don't do the whole gift giving thing at Christmas. We either make and
gift those in need (afghans, quilts and comforters for those without heat,
for example) or we give to the following charities.

Scholarship America: They are rated a 4, and have been for ten years in a
row. Only 2.1% of what they take in is used for Admin and only 0.9% is used
for fundraising. Their president makes $265,000/yr, 0.16% of expenses.

World Vision Gift Catalog (we don't do the whole sponsor a child thing, we
only do the catalog thing): They give things that provide a tomorrow -- a
milking goat, a cow, chickens, sheep, oxen AND the training in care, etc.
They are rated a 4, but they spend a bit more on fundraising (7.5%) and a big
more on admin (4.0%) than I like. :) Their president is paid $380,609 (0.03%
of expenses). They are the highest rating for the work they do.

MAP International They do a lot to help folks help themselves with healthy
water supplies, etc.. They have the highest 4 rating you can get. They only
use 0.1% for admin and 0.6% for fundraising. Their president makes $142,712
(0.03% of expenses).

I also give locally but these are the biggies that pass the test for % of $$
that actually go where they are intended to go.

If folks are going to give to a charity, check out Charity Navigator. You
can find out all you want to know about the charity and how accountable they
are.

Hope y'all enjoy the holidays.

Lynda