homestead - [Homestead] fuzzy caterpillars on the line(venting frustration)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] fuzzy caterpillars on the line(venting frustration)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:43:36 -0400

Un freaking real.
I have no dial tone on my phone and went out to check the box, which is on my deck. To get to the box, I had to brush by a large palm tree. As I got busy, I realized that my hand and wrist were stinging, much like the other day, but not as severe. I suddenly remembered reading on the garden page that saddlebacks like palms, so I looked at the underside of the palm leaf and wouldn't you know that there was a baby saddleback under there. He's about 3/8" long, but he got me twice. What's funny is that it is the same arm, forearm, dermatome as the previous sting from last weekend, which was still itching as of last night. This doesn't seem as bad, but it is just my luck to be hit twice in one week by some elusive little nasty bugger. All stings are within 10 inches of each other.
We lose phone and electricity on a regular basis. It is one of the drawbacks of living in the boonies, I guess. But my stepfather worked for Bellsouth when I was a kid, and I know that they usually fixed problems within 24-48 hours, max. Now, they say it should be fixed by Monday evening. In a digital world, where I have already done half the work for them by testing the line and ruling out that it is a problem in the house, you would think that they could have it fixed within a day or two, but no, it almost always takes 4 or 5 days. In the past, I would have lost internet, too, but I am thankful for Hughesnet, which is allowing me to bitch to the world. I actually reported the problem via email.

--
EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses