homestead - Re: [Homestead] book

  • From: <sgian AT netscape.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] book
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 06:08:47 -0700

>Another good read questioning the accuracy of history as we were
taught it is "The South was Right".

Deo vindice!

The problem with history as we know it is that it is seen strictly as being a
function of who is in political or military power (and often this is
synonymous with ecclesiastical power). Before recorded history, all our
history centers around what people ate, what kind of houses they lived in,
what sort of tools they had, ect. But just as soon as political exploits
began to be written down (Sumer and Ur) history by its very definition
becomes the history of kings and political power.

And this continues unabated to the present day.

I once did some research into what was kitchen and small holding gardening
like in the middle ages. There is some scant information written down about
grain agriculture and animal husbandry since these had to to with political
wealth and military preparedness. But there is very nearly no information at
all recorded about common homestead, householding gardening. Almost all
conclusions come from the side illustrations of biblical and political
paintings where the artist would, for example, paint a picture of the fall of
the Tower of Babble anachronistically, putting 12th century garb and
artifacts in the painting. There would often be pictures of cabbage gardens
and such as a detail. And from this unintentional (as therefore probably
more accurate) depictions we get some small glimpse into what common people
did.

Even today people's emphasis is not on the common everyday activities and
decisions determining their prosperity and security. Instead (as the recent
example) all our problems were because of Bush and all of them would be
solved if we only had Obama in office. How many times does that have to
flip back and forth before we realize we are, even right now, writing our own
false history and ignoring the real history around us.

James

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.