homestead - Re: [Homestead] Do what makes you feel right

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Do what makes you feel right
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 23:04:34 -0700

Bhopal - government makes an out of court settlement of pennies on the dollars. Doesn't even cover medical for those injured or for the funerals of those that died.

Chernobyl - well, it is Russia. Clear the folks out, shut the town down. End of story.

Exxon Valdez - the Good Ol' Boys Club slashes the court award to pennies on the dollar and you can still go and pick up rocks and find black goo under them.

the ISO 14001 isn't going to have much effect. It is lip service.

The American sheople don't give a fig. AND, won't unless someone somehow takes all their empty little heads and shakes them until they acquire some sense.

What's that old song, Money makes the world go around, the world go around, the world go around???

As to BP and the Gulf. Ah, someone want to tell me how come they learned nothing from the other big spill in the Gulf (1979, Ixtoc 1, 140 million gallons)? Or the spill in the Mississippi in 2000?

Or the damage control that was done in Iraq (over 240 million gallosn) in '91?

I don't get why there aren't hundreds of volunteers out there cleaning up the gunk? Why did BP need to fly in phoney workers? Volunteers drove and flew in by the hundreds for the Valez cleanup. Just about every single resident of Alaska was out there.

One of the best oil stopping, gunk suckers is sheeps wool. You fill big tubes that look like over grown nylons with the stuff and float it out there and it acts like a magnet. We contacted folks, just like we did for the Exxon Valdez mess. We shipped them tons of wool. Contacted trucking outfits to get empties hauling north to take the bales of wool. No takers in the Gulf.

The sheople won't be happy until they've sucked the life out of the planet! Then they'll cry "oh poor me" and look for someone else to blame.

Lynda, who is not going to say a word about the moron and circus of Chicago East in the White House.
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

snip<
Lots of IFs there. I'm afraid I am just a bit too pessimistic to
believe that any lasting good can come out of this, but then again, one
can make a case that the Bhopal incident in 1984, Chernobyl meltdown in
1986 and the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989 led to the realization that
there must be international standards for environmental management,
which led to various national standards and international summits, which
eventually became the ISO 14001:1996 environmental standard. The goal
of 14K1 is to prevent pollution and save natural resources. Still, many
corporations and organizations that need to have an environmental
management system, don't, and IMO, the primary reason is money. This BP
spill has cost the company only a few weeks profit, and until companies
stop looking at it as "the cost of doing business", nothing will
change. Do you see protesters lined up with signs at your local BP
station? Our own government sees this only as a opportunity for
speechmaking and 'politiking'; despite ads to the contrary, I haven't
seen any real Change there, either.