homestead - Re: [Homestead] Do what makes you feel right

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Do what makes you feel right
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 19:56:16 -0400

From my home, it is 13.7 miles to DH's workplace-due east, and 28 miles to mine, northeast. We have been carpooling for the last several years that I have worked. It maximizes our net income. Earlier this Spring, DH began tossing his bike into the back of the truck and when we get to town, I pull over and let him out. He rides the last 1.5 mile to work, which saves me 3 miles a day or 15 miles a week.(that's three times more than you ask, and still not enough for my own liking..lol) Since my truck gets 15/gal, that saves a gallon of gas a week, or 54 gallons a year. You can do the math on how expensive gas is...
He actually gets to work in 7-10 minutes depending on traffic, as fast as I could drive it going through four traffic lights in town. One day, he decided to go home early, and rode home, making the trip in 70 minutes. Now mind you, this is hilly terrain, much like eastern Tennessee or southern Missouri, and he is on a mountain bike, not a road bike, so that is actually an accomplishment for a 50+ year old Livestrong guy. :) We are biking a lot lately. I woke up with a migraine today, but DH rode without me-24 miles down in Rome. We are trying to become fit enough to bike to work.

DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL RIGHT

The British Petroleum oil well drilling catastrophe in the Gulf of
Mexico could turn out to be for the good. That possibility depends on
several giant IFs. IF the enormity of our continued reliance on oil
for our energy needs sinks into the collective consciousness and
causes many of us to make serious changes, and IF the oil industry
finds that there is diminishing profit and increasing liability in
drilling deep-water oil wells, and IF the members of the DC
Whorehouse and their corporate customers understand that the present
course is a calamity, then through seeing the horrendous
environmental, economic and social damage we may find the will to do
the right thing.
Lots of IFs there. I'm afraid I am just a bit too pessimistic to believe that any lasting good can come out of this, but then again, one can make a case that the Bhopal incident in 1984, Chernobyl meltdown in 1986 and the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989 led to the realization that there must be international standards for environmental management, which led to various national standards and international summits, which eventually became the ISO 14001:1996 environmental standard. The goal of 14K1 is to prevent pollution and save natural resources. Still, many corporations and organizations that need to have an environmental management system, don't, and IMO, the primary reason is money. This BP spill has cost the company only a few weeks profit, and until companies stop looking at it as "the cost of doing business", nothing will change. Do you see protesters lined up with signs at your local BP station? Our own government sees this only as a opportunity for speechmaking and 'politiking'; despite ads to the contrary, I haven't seen any real Change there, either.

Which in this case is reducing our reliance on oil and increasing our
use of renewable resources.

What will that require from each of us? Well, how about pledging to
drive twenty fewer miles each month for the rest of this year? And
then how about raising the number next year and in each subsequent
year? How about making a survey of all our energy usage and pledging
to reduce that usage by, say, ten percent the rest of this year, and
more next year? How about replacing just one night of television each
week with reading and discussing these issues with family?
We just replaced the windows in our house, which is saving energy. By this time next week, I will have a new, energy efficient back door. As you know, I heat with wood, and planted about 70 additional trees this Spring, 50 Paulownias and the rest in black walnuts and oaks. TV and reading are both indoor activities and have their place. I say start an exercise program with your family...walk, swim, hike, garden, play badmitton or bocce or volleyball or horseshoes...just get outside and breathe fresh air!

In the end, as with recycling, bicycling, turning down the thermostat
in the winter and up in the summer, our actions will be predicated
on what makes us feel right. If we don’t take the energy issue
seriously on a personal level, if we don’t do these things because if
makes us feel right about ourselves, then energy improvement won’t
happen and we will end our lives with our grandchildren dealing with
the issues that we blamed on others and to which we paid only lip
service.
The problem is Gene, I'm sad to say, that what makes you and I feel right is not what makes most of Americans feel right. Despite our political differences, you and I both respect nature and strive to do the right thing by Gaia, as best as possible in this world of consumerism. Here, you are 'preaching to the choir' . One of the things I enjoy about working off the farm is that I meet people who have no concept of homesteading, and who have never given a second thought to their own gluttony and greed, or as to how their habits and actions affect the planet. We need to figure out how to reach those people and then we can really change the world.

--
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson