homestead - Re: [Homestead] Doomed to Repeat

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Doomed to Repeat
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 10:09:14 -0700

Ron Reagan signed into law the Immigration and Control Act of 1986. Regardless of how you got here, if you had been here for 4 years, you got a short track (very short track) to citizenship. There was also a large section of the law dealing with employers hiring illegals that was supposed to stop the flow. At 3 million, they stopped counting how many people they handed out that get-out-of-jail-free card to.

What was supposed to be in the law and was supposed to go to all the states was a section on Anchor Babies. IF that had been in the law as it was supposed to be AND if the employer sanctions had ever beene enforced, then we wouldn't have the problems we currently have.

The current attempt is just a rewrite of that same law but without any teeth at all! It is simply a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Oh, and additionally, they didn't have to go through all the hoops regular immigrants have to go through (English, test, etc.).
Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <rayzentz AT aim.com>

I was a bit young in '86, and oblivious (most likely). To what specificlly are you referring?

Dr. Raymond Zentz

It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.