homestead - [Homestead] It Just Keeps Getting Better

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] It Just Keeps Getting Better
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:25:14 EDT

A few months ago we bought a new milk cow, bred to pure Jersey and due in
three or four weeks.

The original cow had lactated adequately for just shy of six years without
freshening! Not that we didn't try. We put her in with neighbors' bulls
several times and tried AI twice WITH progestin to induce an estrus. No luck.

As any of you know who have raised cows, you cannot tell if the cow is
pregnant by looking at her even in the late stages. Just this week I was
tracing down someone with a Jersey bull. But yesterday Herself noticed that
Cow
was dripping milk from all four udders!?

All our fences and all the fences of the neighbors were decimated by the
high winds of last summer (not to mention the snows of winter). Most likely
Cow went on a midnight tryst to the neighbor's Longhorn bull, or he came
here. There are other explanations but they are unlikely and remote. Now
we're going to have TWO cows lactating at the same time, in fact freshening
at the same time.

It is very good that this state's raw milk law was changed last year!</HTML>