homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ladybug look alikes

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ladybug look alikes
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:15:43 -0500

Thanks for that site, Jerry. This is the first year that I've had huge
numbers inside the house. In past years, the south side of my two-story
brick house (painted white) was heavily covered, but the bugs didn't get
into the house in great numbers. Last fall was pretty benign as far as they
were concerned. I swear they must have bread in the walls over the winter,
even if they aren't supposed to act like that.

I'm glad they eat aphids, but even spiders won't eat them (I have a couple
of test sites in the bathroom). Lately, they've become aggressive --
possibly breeding behavior. They buzz me, burrow into my hair, and do
kamikaze dives into my food and drink.

Native ladybugs were so much less aggressive.

Marie