homestead - Re: [Homestead] Moving a homestead

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Moving a homestead
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:18:09 -0500

On Apr 10, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

> What would you be looking for if you were buying a homestead? Since
> I've been working this place for 5 years, I think that I have a good
> idea of what I want in my next place, but would like to appreciate any
> input.

Rob, it is hard for me to contemplate such a thing today, but here is a
synopsis of several hundred pages of thinking on the subject.

LOCATION
Beyond climate, a balance between being out far enough to have low prices for
adequate acreage, and being near enough to one's necessary or preferred
activities off the homestead.

LAND
Woods or pasture in a balance that fits one's preferred husbandry and
gardening desires.

COMMUNITY
Neighbors and county people of like mindedness. This is the one most people
overlook and that causes more additional moves.

Rob, we are fallible. Even though you have experience, I suggest you write a
criteria list and then put the items in order of importance. Putting our
needs and wants in black and white has a way of sharpening focus.

Or you can consider moving yet again someday. It's a choice.

Gene GeRue
Author: How To Find Your Ideal Country Home
www.Ruralize.com