homestead - Re: [Homestead] Grafting

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Grafting
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:44:33 -0500

Sure there is still time. I have a couple of more grafts to do. What
I'd need is 4 to 6" sticks of last year's growth about pencil sized is
good. A piece of a water sprout is good. Put them in a plastic bag in
the fridge and then mail them to me.

I did this on my grandmother's 100 year old tree and am waiting to see
if the grafts take. I'm learning that it's hard to find good scion
wood on old trees (not a lot of pencil sized pieces of last year's
growth).

If you see some wood like that that you are going to cut off, send it
on. Like I said, I'll try to get one going for you and then send it
back to you. If you don't see that sort of growth, the new growth that
pruning this year produces will work for grafting next spring. Just
let me know, either way, I'm fine. I have some winesaps coming along,
just hate to see an old tree like that come to an end.

Rob