homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pizza

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pizza
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:34:48 -0800

If you know the folks where you are getting the tiles are good guys they'll be able to tell you what's in them and where they came from.

I've got stones, so haven't had to resort to using a tile. I got a couple of cheapies from good ol' K-Mart and they came with peels. I've had them about 15 years and they're still going strong. They did have Made in the U.S. tags on them, though. Don't know what they have now or where they are from.

Lynda
--"I'm fascinated by the hard line you're drawing over religion -- It gets
used too much, as an excuse, a fall guy, a weapon, a con. A lot of people,
maybe most, don't mean it except when it suits them." Dallas
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

One of the nice things about cold winter days is that they make a
great time to stay inside and cook.

I made pizza today and I think I've come to the best crust I've made.
I always get the toppings right, but not always the crust. I'm finding
that the dough needs to be just as sticky as I can handle it.

Now I need to find a pizza stone that will fit on the floor of the
cook stove oven. Do you think that unglazed tile would have nasties in
it?

Pizza dough for 16 inch crust

1 1/3 cup warm water
1 tsp yeast
3 cups flour
1 ½ tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tablespoon olive oil

Mix dry ingredients well, add water to make a soft dough. Let rest 10
minutes, knead well using just enough flour to keep it from sticking.
Oil a bowl and add the dough. Cover and set aside in a cool place or
refrigerator overnight or at least all day. Take out about two hours
before you make your pizza, set in a warm place and let rise.

Make a 5 inch disk out of the dough and form into a crust. Top and
bake in a hot oven, hotter the better.

If you cut the recipe to 2 cups of flour, it will make a 12 inch pizza.

I'm going to try making up a few of these and freezing the dough like
I used to buy in an Italian store in Florida. That way I can take it
out the day before and have a fresh crust.

I'm baking some English Muffin bread for toasting, it's ready to do in
the oven now.

Rob - Va