homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:04:44 -0600

On Jan 3, 2010, at 8:31 PM, VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

I know two Amish families who built sheds, the kind that farmers build. Half was finished to be a house and the other half used as shop. They don't consider that permanent but live there till they have the money to build a house.

Having studied the question of first buildings for several decades it is clear to me that the first building to be constructed on bare land should be what used to be called a carriage house. That is a garage/ workshop on the ground level and living quarters above. That provides both a place to live and a place to keep tools, equipment and supplies out of the weather.

Where the house should be constructed depends on the best ground for the garden, because a kitchen garden is essential to quality living.

Camp on bare land for a year. Draw a general plan based on the garden, which depends on best soil, best solar aspect and good drainage.

Gene GeRue
www.Ruralize.com