homestead - [Homestead] Fencing in November

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fencing in November
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:46:28 -0500

Hey all,

Trust you had a good Thanksgiving. I'm out in a few minutes to do some
fencing. Electric, so it's quick and easy. It's cool here, but nice and
sunny for a change.

I'm really happy with the rye grass that I planted in an acre that's going
to pasture. I put the steers in 1/2 of it a couple of weeks ago, and need to
fence in the other half so I can switch them off soon. Pasturing at the end
of November!

I planted rye grass and orchard grass on that piece. I can actually see the
orchard grass also, once the steers eat it down a bit. Maybe the rye grass
won't crowd out the orchard grass. Anyway, it should stretch out the pasture
season for a while and will be back in the earliest possible after winter
starts to break. I plan to seed some ladino clover in the pasture this
winter and a little lespedeza in early spring to help keep it going well in
summer.

I'm hoping that I can get the rye grass to go to seed naturally as with the
lespedeza.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Fencing in November, Robert Walton, 11/27/2009