homestead - [Homestead] My "Black Locust" trees

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] My "Black Locust" trees
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:45:39 -0400

I'm glad it's too late to call the forestry dept. tonight. I ordered 100
Black Locust trees from them last winter and planted them out. When I
planted them, I thought that they were really wimpy trees, they were tiny.
But, the cost was low so I didn't complain to them.
The only labeling was the receipt that was in the box with them. It said 100
black locust.

When they came out and started growing, I thought that they looked weird.
The leaves, black locust has a lot of little leaflets, these trees have 3
leaflets. Anyway summer has been busy, I've kept the grass mowed down around
them and that's about all. I figured maybe seedlings leaves are different.

I noticed last week that they were blooming with purple flowers. Now, I know
that black locust blooms in May and blooms white.

I did some research and the "trees", I've been caring for and dug all those
holes are Lezpedeza bicolor. It's listed as an invasive on lots of web
sites. It's planted for wildlife cover and feed. The forestry department has
it listed on their website as something they sell.

I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow. Now I need to research this plant I
have growing. At least I remember where they are and it looks like something
the goats will keep down if it's an invasive. I'm hoping it's something that
I can decide to keep and let grow in the understory of the black locust
trees I plant there, maybe this fall.

Live and learn.

Rob - Va