homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spaghetti Squash.. plant geneticist

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spaghetti Squash.. plant geneticist
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 01:18:04 -0400

I've grown them before, and I don't fertilize or water, just let nature
take it's course. I don't recall that the vines were any larger than
the butternuts I'm growing now, or the honey dew and watermelon vines.
Most of my squash vines only have 3,4,5 squashes on them, and I have
limited the watermelon and honey dew to just the one melon. The
spaghetti squash I've grown here have all be about the size of a honey
dew or cantaloupe, some larger, some smaller, slightly elongated, maybe
5x7".

Now, since we are talking spaghetti squash...I planted some this year
but my seed was old and I had no germination. A friend of mine is on a
low carb diet and was craving pasta, and I suggested spaghetti squash.
They aren't the most popular thing down here, but usually I can find a
squash or two in the produce departments. For three weeks, I found zip.
Today, DH brought home a squash labeled spaghetti squash, but it is
oblong, watermelon shaped, not just slightly elongated or honey dew
shaped. It also has some ridges on it, very slight, but there. It is
the oddest looking spaghetti squash I've seen. It is6.5 inches wide, 9+
inches long, weighs 6 pounds, and was grown in Honduras.
Question is, is this just a larger than average squash-do they elongate
instead of growing in diameter? Has anyone seen anything like this
before? Do they have a monster variety of it down in Honduras?

I'm going to cook it for my friend; I just want to make sure her first
experience is a good one.

Bev

I need a plant geneticist to come out here and quickly do some gene
splicing on that crazy spaghetti squash plant.

I swear it is a mutant monster................ One seed, one plant,
one plant that is now over 12 feet across, and has 12 squashes
growing and still lots of new growth on the tips of more and more
branches coming out.

I need someone to splice in a STOP GROWING GENE quick, or I'm going
to lose the driveway.............

Seriously, is this a normal size plant for a spaghetti squash?

--
Duct tape is like The Force: There's a Light Side, a Dark Side, and, of
course, it holds the universe together.