homestead - Re: [Homestead] Knowledgeable Man

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Knowledgeable Man
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:54:43 EDT

> > I've got pasture coming out my ears
> now and not enough animals to eat it :>)

This year I have the hay I cut, and 100 bales that over-fastidious horse
owners gave us as being not up to their standards (although it is fine hay).
I'm not going to do a second cutting but save those fields for fall/winter
grazing. On the main permanent pastures (about seven acres) I mow the weeds
for 1/2 hour every day with a brush blade, sometimes twice a day. I'm
making a dent in it.

And ... of course ... we cut back on the animals so we have hay and pasture
out the wazoo and so does everyone else around here. If that weren't
enough, I've got enough potatoes and carrots to feed many extra pigs and if I
could find a second cow, we'd have enough milk surplus for even more.

Speaking of milk, Tennessee just grew a brain and ammended the previously
iron-clad raw milk law by specifically saying the law did not apply to the
owners of a cow, thus firmly establishing the cow-share ploy as legal and
exempt from Dep of Ag interference. Gonna get another cow.

James