homestead - Re: [Homestead] Missing eggs question

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Missing eggs question
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:57:36 -0400

> We have 5 hens (not yet a year old--so youngish) who normally produce 3-4
> eggs per day. These are meat birds, the ones I got off freecycle last New
> Year's Eve. ;) Production is not as high as egg layers but still plenty.
> In
> the last week, we've only gathered up to 2 eggs per day, but in the last
> two
> days have not gathered any eggs.

Hey Lisa,

Glad James replied, I'd meant to but the email got pushed down the list and
I forgot. Like James wrote, they could be molting. Or, it could just be a
coincidence.

Are your hens penned in? They could be laying somewhere else. One of mine
will make a nest in some crazy, hidden area and then, next day everyone will
lay there.

Or, could be a snake. I rarely have predators near the hens, but I find
guinea egg shells all over the place. Whatever raids the nests carries eggs
off.

I would be unusual that a coon or weasel comes and eats eggs in the day
time. (Assuming you gather every afternoon and don't leave eggs overnight.)

Rob - Va