homestead - [Homestead] An ideal homestead dog

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] An ideal homestead dog
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 08:28:52 -0500

AN IDEAL HOMESTEAD DOG: Benny: 4/30/96-7/30/09
Benny is now in the ground, next to his buddy, Dax, up under the dogwood trees by the old log barn. He was an ideal homestead dog, from parents who were working dogs on a ranch of cattle and sheep. We never allowed him to fulfill his potential as we do not raise large livestock. He did keep an eye on the chickens, though, as well as us and the garden and the full clearing. In all ways he performed as a competent and trusted homestead worker.
We were directed to find him in a barn; his mother had chosen a horse stall and he was infested with ticks and fleas and filthy with manure. He was the runt of his litter but we selected him because of his energy and his promise of great beauty. A classic blue merle Australian Shepherd, with one blue and one brown eye, he fulfilled his promise as a joy to the eye.
He required little training. Beyond normal obedience instruction about all he got was observation of his master walking and peeing along the perimeter of the homestead clearing, denoting the area to protect. Protect it he did.
He never took a sick day in his thirteen years and three months. What finally brought him down were hips that could only with great effort get him up to a standing position.
He pleased us in myriad ways. It was a special delight upon retuning from town trips to see the blue merle of happiness bouncing out to greet us.
And the beat goes on.