homestead - Re: [Homestead] flooding in sw VA

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] flooding in sw VA
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 23:00:27 -0400

Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry wrote:

My husband (w/ youngest son) went to a gig @ 4 pm one hour due west of here
and will be stranded tonight. There are three roads he could take back home
and 2 are definitely flooded and the third probably will be shortly.

I know you say they are staying put, but just make sure they do. Floodwaters are nothing to mess around with.

We're not taking any water in our house, the water bars are doing their job
and we made sure they were re-carved a couple different times today. Part of
our driveway (upper-half of the hill) is torn up, but passable for now. Not
like any of us are going anywhere anyway.

water bars??
are these like swales or what?

The furrow between my potatoes is filled w/ water, the rest of the garden is
very s.o.g.g.y to say the least. Guess it's early enough to replant most
that has been or will be washed away before this is all said nad done.

I'd trench it away if possible, and maybe add some dry hay to soak up any additional water.

We are expecting heavier rain during the night and into the morning. All the
creeks now are rivers and the Little River has turned into a raging big
river.

We got maybe 3/4 inch today, and we needed it as it hasn't rained here since last week. We are about 3 or 4 inches over for the year.-an interesting change from the drought.

Farmers spent the last few days making hay while the sun shined. Saw a
couple today that didn't finish in time.

Folks here are cutting hay, and it rained today, so I suppose some bails will mold. I can get these bails later at a good price.
Bull, a friend of ours, will be mowing a nearby lot that is up for auction. As soon as the rain stops, he'll mow and I can pick up square bales for $2 each. The entry to this field is only 500 feet down the road, so it is an easy grab for me.

We no longer need rain in Floyd County, Virginia. We are full up.

Here we are a few inches over for the year. It is nice now, because when it rains about an inch, the creek runs. Used to be that it would take 3+ inches of hard rain in a 24 hour period, and then it would begin, only to disappear with the stoppage of precip. Now, it is a different stream. It lies in wait for water and begins running as soon as it starts raining. The water tables are very near the surface.

Homemade spaghetti sauce is calling my name and at least one glass of
homemade peach wine!

Sure wish I was there. I really, really, really want some of that peach wine.

Feeling nervous but I have food & water & oldest son here w/ me. It could
definitely be worse. Looking on the bright side. ;0

As long as everyone stays put, it is a mild inconvenience that you can talk about next year. :)

Bev

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/