homestead - [Homestead] Fruit!

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fruit!
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 11:13:16 -0400

I've been here for 3 years, this is the 4th garden. Somehow I got the
years wrong and was feeling bad that none of my fruit trees have
borne. (I was thinking that this was the 4th year they have been in
the ground).

I've got a Virginia Gold apple tree that set a couple of fruit. My
very slow growing Esopus Spitzenberg apple might set a couple and the
Seckle pear has one pear on it. The peach trees got hit with cold,
rainy weather when they were in bud and a lot of buds just fell off.
However, there are a few peaches on them.

It's heartening to see the trees starting. All of them are growing,
and there are more to follow these. I probably should remove the fruit
from the little trees, but I think I'll leave it and see what happens.

Rob - Va